Landing Services Building

Landing Services Building

The Landing Services Building is made of local bluestone (basalt) and is one of Timaru’s oldest buildings, with a grade 1 heritage listing.

It was used during the 1870’s as a place to land goods, with small rowboats bringing in cargo from ships moored out at sea. The construction of a breakwater and harbour soon removed the need for landing services and it became a warehouse for nearly 100 years before being purchased by the Timaru Civic Trust to save it from demolition.

  • <p>The steamer "Lady of the Lake" grounded beside the surfboats at the George Street Landing Services on 9 or 10 September 1873.</p> <p>The steamer "Lady of the Lake" grounded beside the surfboats at the George Street Landing Services on 9 or 10 September 1873.<br><br>Men can be seen around and on the steamer, which was driven aground by her master before she sank. Unfortunately she was grounded directly on the slipways for the Landing Services and impeded their business significantly until removed.</p>
  • <p>The former Landing Services store in George Street, Timaru, circa 2000.</p> <p>The former Landing Services store in George Street, Timaru, circa 2000.<br></p>
  • <p>The foot of George Street, Timaru, circa 1868.  The building in the centre is a landing service building (either the Timaru Landing and Shipping Company or the George Street Landing Service), while Rhodes' original cottage is to the left.</p> <p>Photograph of the foot of George Street, Timaru, circa 1868.<br><br>The building is pictured in the centre is a landing service building (either the Timaru Landing and Shipping Company or the George Street Landing Service), while Rhodes' original cottage is to the left.<br></p>

Landing Services Building

Landing Services Building